(Certificate of Professional Competence Periodic Training)

All HGV / PCV  licence holders including 7.5 tonne if driving for reward must receive periodic training i.e. 35 hours of approved training in the course of a five year cycle in blocks of no less than 7 hours, for the duration of the licence. In other words one days training every year for the life of the licence.

Cost of the one day course includes all registration fees Click for prices
We have the following JAUPT approved Courses running at present (more to follow in due course)

  1. First Aid in Transport
  2. Drivers Hours and Records
  3. Health and safety including Manual Handling

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Q. Do I have to do the training if I hardly ever drive a HGV?
  • A. If someone drives occasionally (e.g. once a year) for revenue earning purposes they will still be required to complete Periodic Training.
  • Q. Are there any exemptions from doing the training?
  • A. Yes, as listed below.
  1. There is something called an incidental driver e.g. a bricklayer who may carry materials to a site but who does not get paid for the driving element. In this case the bricklayer would be exempt. For more info on this exemption visit www.transportoffice.gov
  2. Vehicles with a maximum speed not exceeding 45 Kph
  3. Vehicles used by the armed forces, civil defence, and emergency services.
  4. Vehicles undergoing road tests for technical development, repair or maintenance.
  5. Vehicles used in a state of emergency.
  6. Vehicles used in the course of driving lessons or examinations.
  7. Vehicles used for non-commercial carriage of passenger or goods for personal use.
  8. Vehicles used for carrying material or equipment to be used by the driver in the course of his or her work, providing that driving the vehicles is not the drivers principle activity.
  • Q. Are the requirements of the course any different if I am a new driver ?
  • A. No. Everyone has the same standards to be met, as long as the 35 hours periodic training is completed by 10th September 2014.
  • Q. I already have a CPC for transport operations, do I need the Driver CPC?
  • A. Yes, if you wish to drive a HGV above and including 7.5 tonne. The transport operation CPC is a completely separate qualification.
  • Q. Can I work as a driver without a Driver CPC?
  • A. No, unless in exempted circumstances.
  • Q. Can I do it as a five day block course if I wanted to?
  • A. Yes, we can offer to do the 35 hours as a block course on five consecutive days.
  • Q. Do you run the courses on weekends?
  • A. Yes, we run them on Saturdays and Sundays as well as weekdays plus OFF SITE.
  • Q. How will Driver CPC holding be enforced on the road?
  • A. In the same way as holding an appropriate driving licence, particularly by the police, VOSA, and DVLA. If it is not current then a penalty will be issued.
  • Q. Can drivers do the same courses each year?
  • A. Theoretically, yes. However, employers and drivers will be seeking value for money and repetition of the same courses will not be beneficial.
  • Q. What if an HGV driver completed their 35 hours of Periodic Training early, say in 2010?
  • A. This driver will be sent their driver qualification card in 2010 when they have completed their 35 hours of training. This card will have an expiry date of September 2019. This means that in order to renew the card in 2019 the driver will need to have completed another 35 hours of training between 2014 and 2019.
  • Q. Do I have to do any exams to pass the course?
  • A. No, as it is not as pass or fail course. It is recorded as hours of attendance. Ultimately, it is up to the driver to decide if they are covered by any of the above exemptions, and if necessary, justify it to the competent authority.